Wednesday, September 1, 2010

Foam Burst

This is the third time. The can of shaving foam I keep in the bathroom cupboard burst sometime during the day. We returned home to find a part of the bathroom looking like it had been hit by a snowstorm. Most of it had subsided so it wasn't as dramatic (the earlier one was more impressive, perhaps because we caught the event earlier). But here it is There was much more foam but some it was washed away before I could take this picture. The poor can can be seen lying on its side on the right of the washbasin. It appears that all these cans rust in the bathroom in the presence of water and humidity and finally the joints give way.

One nice thing about this is how trivial it is to clean. A jet of water from say, a hand held shower and directed appropriately washes it all off.

8 comments:

Rahul Siddharthan said...

Hm. It's never happened to me and I've only seen it happen once, to my uncle's can that had been forgotten for months (years, maybe) in a guest bathroom. Time to change brand?

I used cans (mostly Gillette) until recently but I've switched back to tubes now: cheaper and more eco-friendly.

L said...

I have had a fire extinguisher exploding in the car and breaking the dashboard, but never seen a shaving cream can explode....must be happening only in rust-friendly Madras.

AmOK said...

You need to shave more often or buy smaller cans.

On the flip side, the best (non-green) solution would be to install a dehumidifier and temperature control in your bathroom while stocking it with many such cans.

sunder and sonati said...

Perhaps the next time it will happen with you in the bathroom: Beware.

But that would make a pretty picture, wouldn't it? The abominable Foam-man:-)

Rahul Basu said...

All: This is the fastest comment rate of almost any of my posts in the past :-)

AmOK said...

You now understand the appeal of reality shows! Next time you can claim it again as an accident.

vbalki said...

Even greener solution (apart from the greenest one of no-shave-at-all): the good old shaving cup soap. The problem is that you can't get good pig-bristle brushes any longer, only the nylon horrors that curl up in a few weeks. I guess the practice of plying the brush leisurely to whip up a lavish coat of lather on the chin is extinct as far as the present generation is concerned!

porcupyn said...

A couple of months ago, while trying to retrieve a new bar of soap to take a shower, I (unintentionally) dropped an old bottle of perfume in our tiled bathroom floor. Though it hardly had a drop of a foot or so, when it broke, the bottle literally exploded (I searched the internet, but no one has videos of similar explosions) and I got struck on my chin and shoulder (which were maybe 3 feet above the ground at least). This happened within the blink of an eye!